9.13.2011

things you need to say out loud

I am a really wonderful goal-setter.  It's one of my greatest talents, really, identifying big exciting things I'd like to do and then writing them down somewhere.  Generally I make checklists and purchase fancy equipment to help aid me in achieving them, because yup, I am just that dedicated.

But you know where this is going.  Even with my fancy equipment and my checklists and all my good intentions, I have a pretty lousy track record with following through on my goals.  It's partly because I set so many of them, and partly because they're often unrealistic.  For some reason, whenever I decide I'm going to do something, I get this... rush.  I feel like I'm Wonder Woman for a few minutes.  (Actually, I'm not that into comics, so I feel more like Buffy, but you know what I'm saying.)  I forget that I have a job, and a life, and that I tend toward sleepiness and snugliness and Grey's Anatomy marathons in my free time.  So I fail, over and over.  Which is, uh, not my favorite thing to do. 

But!  Every day is another day.  So right now, my goal is to set three achievable goals, and then actually... do them.  Whatever it takes.  I just want to do what I say I'm going to do.

I read a quote once that really stuck with me (alas, the name of the person who said it did not, but whoever it was, they have my thanks):

There is power in doing what you say you're going to do.  You become a prophet in your own life.

Uh huh.  THAT.  Yes.  I want THAT.

So. 

GOALS FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR:
(yup, giving myself a couple months)


  • I want to run a 5k by the end of October, and an 8k by the end of November.
This one shouldn't be too hard.  My running buddy friends and I are planning on doing a 5k in October, and I'm already signed up to run an 8k in November.  But again: do what I say I'm going to do.  Time to start training in earnest.



  • I want to write 2,000 words per week.
Actually, I want to write at least 3,000 words per week, but in the past that hasn't proved to be realistic in the long term.  Things get busy, my word count goes down, and there goes my goal.  I know there are people who dash off 2,000 words a day, but I'm not one of those.  I'm slow.  Hitting 2,000 a week shouldn't be hard, but for me it is.  That said, if I dedicate myself to setting aside the time, it should be managable.  And if I hit 3,000+, well, more dance parties for me!



  • I want to call at least one of my siblings at least once a week.
I have two younger brothers and a younger sister, and I love them all like mad.  We're incredibly close and loving when we're together, but unfortunately we're not together very often.  I think about them all the time, but we don't talk that much.  So I want to start reaching out more, and making it a habit to be a part of their lives even when we're apart.


So those are my goals.  I'm saying them here because I mean them, and I want to be held accountable for them. 

If you have any you'd like to share with me, feel free.  Putting them out there is a powerful thing, and I am happy to hold, as well as be held, accountable for the things we say out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment