4.01.2012

A to Z: Always

One month.  26 posts.  A to Z.  (Don't know what I'm talking about?  Check out the Challenge here.)

I was brushing my teeth the other night, thinking about my WIP, and for no reason in particular the thought suddenly hit me: there is never going to be a time when I won't have writing to think about.  As soon as I decided to become a writer (and not just the wishing/talking/dreaming kind, you know - the kind that actually writes) something shifted in me.

They say that being a writer means having homework for the rest of your life, but I suppose the weight of that hadn't really sunk in until that toothbrushing moment.  There are always going to be characters floating around in my head.  There are always going to be storylines to untangle, plot holes to fill, worlds to build.  Even if I never publish a word.

I'm in it.  I'm in it for Always.

Sometimes, that thought is daunting.  But honestly?  Most of the time I just think: I am so, so lucky.

16 comments:

  1. We're definitely lucky. 'Cause it not only fills the boring moments with devising daring plots and fantastic escapes (plus all the cool research that can go with that), but at its best it keeps us awake to life, to all that's around us and the meaning it holds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in it for always, too. Really appreciated this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suze. Apparently there are quite a lot of us. ;) It's nice to find one another!

      Delete
  3. It's quite an overwhelming thought isn't it? And then you realize that you've always been doing it anyway; you just didn't have the label!
    Rhia #873 on A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not an actual "writer" but I am always thinking and I do love to write my thoughts down. So maybe I am a writer; just not a trained or professional one. :) Looking forward to keeping up with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In it for always! It can be the writer's battle cry! We gird our loins, strap on our writing brains and wade right into the thick of the creative process. Awesome. Loved your post, and I'm looking forward to more.

    I'm stalking you on Twitter now, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can take our pencils, but they can never take... OUR WRITING!!!!!

      And: Twitter stalking you right back. :)

      Delete
  6. I agree! When I was young, I enjoyed the distraction from school or boredom of writing out a story. Now, adult responsibilities can cloud the writing process a bit, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can definitely be a struggle, this being in it for always. For me at least, there's always a question of where to find the time. But yes yes yes - I wouldn't have it any other way!

      Delete
  7. That is a lovely thought. The creativity is always flowing in and through you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! The trick is to pin it down. ;)

      Delete
  8. Once a writer, always a writer, at all moments of time.

    Look forward to your challenge posts...
    --Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2012

    Twitter: @AprilA2Z
    #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Damyanti - and thank you for hosting!

      Delete