4.09.2012

A to Z: Heroes

When I was a junior in high school, my U.S. History teacher made us go around the room on the first day of class and tell everyone who our hero was.  I still remember wracking my brain trying to come up with someone who was cool enough to be socially-acceptable, but hip enough to make me stand out from the crowd.

In the end, I lamed out and announced that I didn't have a hero because I was too young; I hadn't decided who or what I wanted to be yet, so I didn't have anyone in mind to emulate.

Yeah, total cop out.

Today I would name:

My mother, for giving up a LOT to raise my siblings and I, for doing what I (humbly) consider to be a damn good job of it, and for deciding at age 50 that she was going to take up running as a hobby.  She texted me the other day that she had just finished running 13 miles.  I couldn't run 13 miles if I tried.  She's a badass.

My father, for going to work every single day for 30+ years without a single word of complaint.  Having officially worked for about 1/10 of that time now, it's the not-complaining that I find most impressive.  He just did it, because it had to be done.  And then he played baseball with us in the front yard after work.  He is also a badass.

Margaret Atwood, for writing books that make me so jealous I could tear my hair out, and so inspired that I usually have to stop reading, mark my page, jot down a paragraph or two, and then continue reading.

Badass.


It's good to have heroes.  Who are yours?


One month.  26 posts.  A to Z.  (Don't know what I'm talking about?  Check out the Challenge here.)

10 comments:

  1. Definite badass parents. And author.

    My heroes would be my own parents and grandparents, and for authors, Mark Twain, Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson, Jack London, Thoreau, and John Muir. They all went against the grain to tell their truth.

    And yes, I am living in the wrong century. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly are! Love all those author-heroes, though. (And I'm sure I would also love your parents and grandparents, but, y'know... haven't met them.) :)

      Delete
    2. I know how you feel. I think deep down I'm a transcendentalist!

      Delete
  2. Awesome heroes, jessica! It's always great to see recognition for one's parents. ;^)

    And I have to humbly confess that I've only read "The Handmaid's Tale" and it's been around twenty years ago. Based on your post, I'll have to remedy that!

    Wow... My heroes? Um, I probably have too many, but I would definitely mention my wife, my mom, Albert Einstein, Dr. Martin Luther King, and for authors, how about Ray Bradbury, Robert Heinlein, Frank Herbert, Stephen King, Raymond Chandler, Kurt Vonnegut, and too many others to mention, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris! You're making me think I should have made a longer list... suddenly I'm seeing heroes everywhere I look. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, and also - I would highly recommend reading Oryx and Crake and/or its companion novel, The Year of the Flood. Two of my absolute M.Atwood faves.

      Delete
  3. A lovely post. :) My heroes would probably be my parents, Charlotte Bronte, Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Jr., J.K. Rowling, Jane Austen, Nina LaCour, John Green...

    I stopped by for the A to Z challenge. I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely say my cousin Karri. She was 11 when I was born, and my mom and her mom are 13 months apart so we are all very close. My cousin=siblings really. I pretty much just wanted to BE her until I was 14 or so, she is fantastic. I still want to be like her. She is an unapologetic artist, determined and amazingly creative. She is just now in her 30's seeing the fruits of her labors but has been pursuing things since she was in her teens. http://www.bandwagontheseries.com/ is her show that she directs, co-writes and co-stars. She is freakin' amazing. I realize that I'm biased because she is my cousin, but her web show has won awards and its not just ME that thinks so! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool! People who have the guts and the drive to do the things that they're passionate about are so amazing. Great hero. :)

      Delete
  5. Aw, you made me cry. It has been my deepest desire for I don't know how many years to be your hero. No lie. And (for clarification's sake only), I was 52 when I took up running. I know, I know, I just *looked* like I was 50. May I also add, what I gave up was nothing compared to what I gained when I had you children. Blessed beyond belief.

    ReplyDelete