4.20.2012

A to Z: Running

When I was in 5th grade, I started telling everyone that I wanted to be a runner for the US Olympic team.  Why?  I have no idea.  But I guess if you're gonna aim, aim big, right?

Fast forward to 2010, when I hadn't even thought about running in years.  I wasn't a sports girl, though I had grown up playing sports.  I wasn't a gym girl, though I thought of myself as relatively healthy.  What I was was a fairly-out-of-shape girl in her mid-20s with a family history of people keeling over unexpectedly and far too young of heart attacks, who spent most of her day hunched over a computer and who desperately needed a plan to get active.

Enter Couch to 5k.  I started in the summer of 2010, and did the program in starts and stops.  By spring of 2011 I could run a 5k without much effort.  I even got my mom into it, and she's running a half marathon next month.  (She is, um, WAY more motivated than me.  And in WAY better shape, it goes without saying).


I stopped running for a few months at the beginning of this year, and I'm just getting into it again.  Right now, I hate it, because I'm at that place where my body feels like it's working against me and it's a challenge to make it 2 miles.  But I know I'll get there.

What do you do to stay active?


One month.  26 posts.  A to Z.  (Don't know what I'm talking about?  Check out the Challenge here.)

5 comments:

  1. I love sports!

    I can sit and watch it for hours... ;^)

    OK -- seriously: I used to play a lot of tennis back in my 20's, but these days, I'm mainly a walker.

    That and yard-work (who wanted this damn big yard anyway?!?) and playing with my 5-year old granddaughter and chasing after our hyperactive border-collie lab mix (we also have a cat, but her idea of exercise is a big stretch before sauntering over to the food dish).

    I also try to exercise my rights, stretch my mind, and lift a few good lines from other writers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I run. And there's always a bit of a curve getting back into it after couch season. But the muscles in one's legs have the longest memory.

    Hit the asphalt, babe. Fly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll lift a few good lines from another writer and say, What Chris said!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NO EXCUSES! Get out there and run! :)

    ReplyDelete