6.13.2012

opening wide the doors

Well.  It's official. 

Not writing is definitely worse than writing.

I've given myself permission not to stress about all the Not Writing I've been doing lately, seeing as how I'm currently spending most of my free time dealing with mortgage brokers and whatnot.  I'm also taking 8 hours/week of (required for life-things, but non-writing-related) classes during the evenings this month, which is basically all my writing time.

But giving myself permission not to stress doesn't mean I'm not missing it.  And yeah, I'm sure I could eek out a paragraph or two here and there, but that's not really my style.  I'm kind of all-or-nothing when it comes to committing to a WIP.  Plus, I know those paragraphs would (a) suck, because I won't have given myself enough time to get back into the story, and (b) make me miss working on it that much more.  Like taking a bite of dessert and then pushing your plate away - not so much me.

Me: A Metaphor

But!  I had an idea last night, as I was tossing and turning and wishing for more hours in the day and wondering why my brain was refusing to take advantage of the ones I managed to set aside for sleeping.  Why not work on something else?  Something short and silly, something that can be set aside for days or weeks at a time, something that can be worked on in small pieces because I'm not expecting it to actually go anywhere?

Do you know how long it has been since I've let myself write something like that?  Answer: so very, very long.  And that's possibly a sign that I've been taking myself and my writing a leeetle too seriously. 

So, instead of continuing the wah wahhhh of Not Writing sadness, I'm going to use this time to play.  I'm going to indulge the scenes that have no place in any actual story in my brain.  I'm going to write a ghost story for some of my favorite little boys.  Maybe I'll try flash fiction.  Maybe I'll write hundreds of little sentences that don't fit anywhere but just sound pretty.

I'm opening wide the doors.  And I'm kind of looking forward to discovering what walks out.

And one more thing before I sidle off: I just want to acknowledge that I have been an awful, awful blog commenter lately.  As in, I've basically completely disappeared.  I think I've sufficiently addressed the why, but I did want to just say for the record that I am reading!  Just failing epically on the commenting front, for which I'm quite sorry.  I look forward to life settling down a bit - hitting the ebb to this flow.  In the meantime, please mentally append this comment to all of your posts: "Hi!  I'm here!  I miss you!  Great post!  I think you're brilliant!" 

Because I do. 

xxoo

17 comments:

  1. You ARE brilliant! I'm having some burnout myself. I'm combating it with reading at the present time. Fingers crossed it does the trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU are! :) Oh man, BLERG to burnout. Fingers and toes crossed! Hope you're reading something awesome and inspiring.

      Delete
  2. Writing can be a full time job in itself, but whatever works for you go with it. There are no rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "There are no rules" is another one of those things I should probably get tattooed somewhere. :) Sometimes I forget that there's nothing wrong with taking a break, or doing things differently than other people do them... but you're absolutely right. This is my path, and I'm the only one walking it.

      Delete
  3. You may be frazzled from house buying but we still appreciate you- kindly, if you have a moment, step over to my blog post 'The Invisible Importance of Hats' to pick up the badge, get some silly inspiration, and be completely absolved from needing to observe rules- simply play :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much! Love love love the line you woke with in your head, too. Amazing.

      Delete
  4. 'Like taking a bite of dessert and then pushing your plate away - not so much me.'

    A brilliant metaphor, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks. It may also been that I've mostly cut sugar out of my diet lately and the idea of dessert is starting to take over my brain...

      Delete
  5. I always read and of late have not been commenting, but I woke up this morning with renewed vigor and yours is the first comment of the day! I am slowly working up to writing stories so we are on a reverse track. Simply do what you can when you can and only if it makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First comment of the day, yay! :) "Do what you can when you can" - amen to that, seriously.

      Delete
  6. Awesome idea. Like putting the symphony aside to just sit back and write a pop song, play with rhymes, mess around with new chords, and just have fun with it, which is why you started to play to begin with.

    And writing for kids is definitely a great way to do that - just telling it straight to them, with no thought of anyone else. Where you can be super spooky or amazingly alliterative and just play with the language and the delight of telling a tale.

    please mentally append this comment to all of your posts: "Hi! I'm here! I miss you! Great post! I think you're brilliant!"

    I may write a post just for that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! A little bubble gum pop never hurt anyone. And I'm already having fun thinking about the story I'm going to write for these specific boys. I've never written anything for *someone* (as opposed to the mythic everyone) before, so there's already this cool shift in thinking. What will THEY enjoy, even if it's not necessarily universally enjoyed? The delight of telling a tale indeed. :)

      "I may write a post just for that" - aw, see, now you're just getting my hopes up.

      Delete
  7. I highly recommend flash fiction. I always try to write little vignette's when the inspiration for my novels seems to leave me. In fact, I can even recommend a blog for you.

    Bryan Russell is a Canadian editor who features a lot of flash fiction on his blog. He also writes his own. Check out some of his stories (and mine) at this label:

    http://alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com/search/label/The%20World%20in%20Miniature

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the Versatile blog award, it's lovely to meet you :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, when you're busy juggling the chainsaws that life throws at you, it's totally understandable to not be able to create in both quality and quantity.

    I love your attitude about taking it as an opportunity to do some short 'n' sweet things without the pressure. Write in the moment for as little or as long as you can, and you may be surprised with what you come up with. Even little snippets that you can use in later form are 'productive output', you know?

    So it's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jessica, what a great idea! Take a new attitude and a new approach.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by to let you know I have an award for you on my blog.

    http://warpednerdiversity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete