When I was in 5th grade, I started telling everyone that I wanted to be a runner for the US Olympic team. Why? I have no idea. But I guess if you're gonna aim, aim big, right?
Fast forward to 2010, when I hadn't even thought about running in years. I wasn't a sports girl, though I had grown up playing sports. I wasn't a gym girl, though I thought of myself as relatively healthy. What I was was a fairly-out-of-shape girl in her mid-20s with a family history of people keeling over unexpectedly and far too young of heart attacks, who spent most of her day hunched over a computer and who desperately needed a plan to get active.
Enter Couch to 5k. I started in the summer of 2010, and did the program in starts and stops. By spring of 2011 I could run a 5k without much effort. I even got my mom into it, and she's running a half marathon next month. (She is, um, WAY more motivated than me. And in WAY better shape, it goes without saying).
I stopped running for a few months at the beginning of this year, and I'm just getting into it again. Right now, I hate it, because I'm at that place where my body feels like it's working against me and it's a challenge to make it 2 miles. But I know I'll get there.
What do you do to stay active?
One month. 26 posts. A to Z. (Don't know what I'm talking about? Check out the Challenge here.)
I love sports!
ReplyDeleteI can sit and watch it for hours... ;^)
OK -- seriously: I used to play a lot of tennis back in my 20's, but these days, I'm mainly a walker.
That and yard-work (who wanted this damn big yard anyway?!?) and playing with my 5-year old granddaughter and chasing after our hyperactive border-collie lab mix (we also have a cat, but her idea of exercise is a big stretch before sauntering over to the food dish).
I also try to exercise my rights, stretch my mind, and lift a few good lines from other writers...
I run. And there's always a bit of a curve getting back into it after couch season. But the muscles in one's legs have the longest memory.
ReplyDeleteHit the asphalt, babe. Fly.
I'll lift a few good lines from another writer and say, What Chris said!
ReplyDeleteActive...what????
ReplyDeleteNO EXCUSES! Get out there and run! :)
ReplyDelete